Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Being Human

I have become a huge fan of the series Being Human on the SyFy network.  I watched every episode of the first season and season 2 will be starting Jan. 16, 2012.  It's a little different than your usual show featuring supernatural characters.  The story is set around three main characters, all of which are inhuman, who live in a house together.  These three 20 something roomies try to help each other maintain and keep their double lives a secret from the outside world.  Though they are all inhuman, they want to try to keep some piece of humanity in their lives however small it might be.

A show with a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost is defintely off to a great beginning.  The first season got me hooked and I am anxiously awaiting season 2 to see in what direction they take these characters.  They are constantly threatened with exposure or persecution, pressure from other supernatural creatures, and with problems caused by their attempts to deal with their own natures.

Vampire - Aidan played by Sam Witwer (Smallville & Battlestar Gallatica)
Werewolf - Josh played by Sam Huntington (Cavemen & Superman Returns)
Ghost - Sally played by Meaghan Rath (The Assistants)


Now I am ashamed to admit it, but it wasn't until recently that I became aware that this show is a re-imagining of the acclaimed BBC original series Being Human. There are actually quite a few US shows that we have adopted from the BBC, but that's another post altogether. 

Anyway when I learned this, I went to my Sidereel acount and added it to my tracker so I could check it out.  I have finished the first season of the UK version and enjoyed it even more than the US version.  The plot and characters are basically the same, but I believe they dig deeper into each characters personal issues and situations. Last I heard, there will be a season 4 in 2012 with returning characters and also new ones.

Vampire - Mitchell played by Aidan Turner ( Hmmm and the Vampire's name in US version is Aidan...coincidence?)
Werewolf - George played by Russell Tovey
Ghost - Annie played by Lenora Crichlow



 

No comments:

Post a Comment